Thursday, 13 October 2011
Date & Pistachio Slices
- 250g pitted dates, chopped
- 80g pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 225g plain flour, sifted
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 150g butter
- 4-5 tbsp cold water to mix
- Milk for glazing
1. Place the dates, lemon juice and water in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Remove from the heat.
2. Stir in the pistachio nuts and 1tbsp honey, cover and leave to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. For the pastry, place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
4. Mix in just enough cold water to bind to a soft, not sticky dough.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to two 30 x20cm rectangles. Place one on a baking sheet.
6. Spread the date & nut mixture to within 1cm of the edge. Top with the remaining pastry.
7. Press to seal, trim the edges and mark into 12 slices. Glaze with milk.
8. Bake for 20 - 25min, until golden (in my oven it took around 30-35min). Brush with remaining honey and cool on a wire rack. I then sprinkled it with some sugar.
7. Cut into slices and serve.
Recipe taken from 'Frame-to-Frame Baking' by Love Food