I had lunch today with two lovely ladies and wanted to make a dessert with a difference.
After searching taste.com.au for a little while, i found these yummy treats.
The recipe was to make one very tall pavlova, but i decide to make 2 smaller ones.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 300 mls thickened cream
- 1 1/2 tbls chocolate hazelnut spread
- Strawberries and flake to decorate.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Line an oven tray with baking paper and using a plate, trace a 15cm circle onto paper. Set aside.
2. Place hazelnuts onto a separate baking tray and bake for 5min or until golden. Remove hazelnuts from the oven. While they are still warm, wrap in a clean towel and rub vigorously to remove skins. Discard skins and finely chop hazelnuts. Set aside to cool.
3. Reduce oven to 120 degrees. Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until medium peaks form.
Gradually add caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar is dissolved. Add the cornflour and vinegar and beat until just combined.
4. Gently fold through chopped hazelnuts and spoon meringue mixture onto the baking tray, following the shape traced on the baking paper. Bake immediately for 1 hour and 50min.
(I turned the oven off 30mins early, after looking through the door and checking their progress. I think because I split the mixture in half, it obviously affected the cooking time) Turn off the oven and leave to cool completely before removing.
5. Beat the cream with the chocolate hazelnut spread until stiff peaks form. Spoon onto pavlova to serve. I sprinkled some cadbury flake onto the top and had some extra strawberries in a bowl for those that wanted them.